The Salvation Army In the Midwest
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Thrift Store Worker
at The Salvation Army In the Midwest
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Regular Part-Time
This position is expected to perform all functions of a thrift store worker. This includes but is no limited to: Working with customers; lifting and carrying donated/ purchased items; clothes sorting operations; stocking, pricing and placing items for sale; making change for purchased items; etc. The majority of the work done in the position will be of the physical labor type. Basic communication and math skills are required.
1. Maintain positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relationships with customers, donors, co-workers and supervisors. This includes but is not limited to such actions as: resolution of conflicts in a professional manner; courteous treatment of staff, visitors and customers; respect of other’s property and person; and professional an appropriate communication to and about customers, donors, co-workers and supervisors.
2. Sort donated items.
3. Price donated items.
4. Place donated items on racks/shelves for display
5. Assist in loading and unloading the store’s truck, customer’s vehicles, and/or donors’ vehicles.
6. Routinely lift items that weigh 30 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds.
7. This position may be assigned to operate a cash register to ring up sales and to make proper change. The position may be expected to participate or conduct the counting out and reconciling of the cash drawer at the end of a shift or day. The position may be responsible for taking the deposit to the bank.
Must be a team player, a self-starter, and perform well with minimum supervision. High school/equivalent diploma and one year related work experience or two years work experience without diploma. Position requires basic communications with customers and other employees. Ability to comprehend written job description, cleaning instructions and material safety data sheet. Position may require the ability to operate a cash register, be bondable and to make correct change for items sold. Must be capable of performing essential duties.
The Salvation Army Central Territory does not participate in unemployment compensation programs. The Salvation Army, as a church, is exempt from participation in federal and state unemployment insurance programs.