Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 01R93
Monsanto is the largest developer, grower and marketer of fruit and vegetable seeds in the world. We lead the development of hybrids that improve nutrition, boost crop yields, limit spoilage and reduce the need of chemicals. Research is the heart of Monsanto and its future as we are committed to consistently introducing innovative products for our customers.
At Monsanto, we are committed to recruiting and retaining the best individuals through our team-oriented culture, which encourages creativity, decision-making, and entrepreneurial spirit.
We are seeking a highly motivated Research Associate to work as a member of our Leek and Onion Breeding Team, based in Wageningen, focused on variety development.
This is a unique opportunity to work with leading technology and talented research scientists seeking to deliver the best in vegetable crop genetics.
- Work with FTS (Plant breeding database management) to ensure that breeding records are correctly input, maintained, and advanced. This will entail interaction with other Root & Bulb content experts, as well as the Vegetable Breeding Operations Team.
- Supervise cleaning, packaging, and organization of seed inventory with a focus on accuracy and freedom from errors
- Manage shipping of seed, plants and other testing materials
- Oversee work in different field operations, including planting, handling pollinating insects and harvesting of trials
- Support and participate with daily and seasonal operations that include planting seeds and bulbs, bulb and seed harvest, bulb grading and storage
- Assist in data collection, data analysis and database management
- Champion Environmental, Safety, and Health (ESH) policies and procedures for the safe operation of the local research facility and program, including ownership of appropriate ESH programs.
Required Education and Skills:
- Master's Degree in Agronomy, Plant Breeding, Biology or related field of study
- Proficiency in computer applications for Plant Breeding database management and research data analysis
- Highly motivated, detail orientated and innovative
- Familiarity with breeding and research methodologies
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary research team
- Ability to travel occasionally
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to supervise seasonal labor
Desired skills /experience
- Knowledge of crop production and farming
- Experience with vegetable crops